AP Newsroom (a.k.a. AP Images) is a database of photographs and news stories from the Associated Press (AP). You cannot use images from AP images in online courses, presentations or any kind of publicly viewable or available materials without getting a license.
- Go to the library's homepage at www.esc.edu/library
- Click Multimedia
- Click AP Newsroom from the alphabetical list
- If prompted, enter your college login and password.
During your session, you may be prompted for a username and password. Click Cancel and continue.
There is a search box at the top of the screen.
- Type your keywords or subject into the search box.
- Put quotation marks around a phrase of 2+ words (e.g., "Hong Kong")
- Use AND between keywords to search for items containing both terms.
- Use OR between keywords to search for items containing either term.
- For more information, see Using AND, OR & NOT to Combine Keywords.
- Optionally, use the pull-down menu next to it to specify the type of media you want to search (all, text, photo, graphic, audio).
- Click the Search icon.
Click the thumbnail image to see the full-size version along with information about it.
- Click the name of the image to view the full-sized version with image information.
- Click the checkbox underneath the image to select it. Once you have selected all the images you want on this page of search results, you can click the "View Selected to Download" button at the top of the search results list.
- Underneath each image are icons:
- The little gear/sprocket icon opens a menu that allows you to Download, Quicksave, View Slideshow, View Detail (image information) or Print.
- The down arrow icon allows you to download.
- The diskette icon allows you to quicksave.
- The magnifier icon allows you to view the image information.
- At the top of the left navigation column, you can narrow your search down by related subject.
- Below that, you can narrow your search down by the name of a person related to the subject.
- Below that, you can narrow your search down by the name of of an event related to the subject.
- And below that, you can narrow your search down by the name of the photographer who took the image.
When you click on an image, you get a full-size version of the image and several options for how to use it.