What are Open Educational Resources?
Open Education or Open Learning is a peer-to-peer way of doing things. It takes advantage of the Internet, particularly web 2.0 technologies, for sharing, finding, and adapting resources.
Open Educational Resources (OER) are licensed with a GNU Public License (for software) or a Creative Commons License (for all other kinds of intellectual property) so that they are free to be used and adapted without paying or having to ask for permission.
- OER save time and effort and diffuse innovations and best practices by allowing educators to use one anothers' work.
- OER reduce the burden on academic libraries' acquisitions budgets, which have been under increasing strain from the cost of scholarly journals, whose price increases have far outstripped the general rate of inflation.
- OER make higher education more affordable to students, who often have difficulty affording their required textbooks.
- OER make educational opportunities available to teachers and learners in impoverished areas and developing nations, and to learners whose life circumstances don't permit them to attend formal education.
- entire courses
- learning objects of all kinds
- tools for creating learning objects
- open access articles and other scholarly works
- Open Education or Open Learning - synonyms for Open Educational Resources.
- Open Content - texts, images, audio-video resources, and other kinds of intellectual property that are made available for users to copy, share, and remix under a Creative Commons license. Open Educational Resources are a kind of Open Content.
- Open Source - software that is available for anyone to use or adapt without asking permission or paying under a GNU Public License. Moodle is an Open Source LMS.
- Open Access - scholarly articles that are made available to readers for free. Gratis Open Access articles are free to read but not free to copy, share, or adapt. Libre Open Access articles are free to read, copy, share, and remix. Libre Open Access articles are a kind of Open Content.
- Open Textbooks - full ebooks, chapters, and modules that are free to use, copy, share, and remix under a Creative Commons license. Open Educational Resources are a kind of Open Content.
OER Consortia and Organizations
1-800-847-3000 ext. 2222
-Mon-Thu: 9am - 9pm